Friday, September 10, 2010

Celebrating Anna's Birthday

One of my co-workers is celebrating a MAJOR birthday this weekend. The other two, still young and energetic, art teachers decided a little desk decorating was in order. We quickly moved on from the all too overdone, "over the hill", to a celebration of the birthday girl's long gone youth. We decided to decorate in the spirit of the Mexican "Day of the Dead". We turned her desk into a mini shrine, complete with a photo of the birthday girl at a much younger age, several Mexican inspired decorated skeletons and skulls. candles, and some creepy feeling statues I had laying around.
Everything got draped in black fabric. We even asked her students to wear black!
I wanted the look of "Papel Picado", Mexican tissue paper flags, but did not have the time. So I found some pictures and patterns of the real thing. I made them black and white in photo shop and printed them on colored paper. Good enough!
I found a wreath and added a ribbon banner reading "RIP - Youth" since that was the thing we were saying goodbye to!

I wrote on the sombrero with a sharpie marker, through a blanket over her chair and added a funny head sculpture that was laying around the art department. Hopefully she enjoyed the tribute to her long gone youth as much as we did!

No comments: