Monday, May 28, 2012

A Fabulous Shirt!

Every year, so far, for Lydia's birthday I have made an outfit to coordinate with her party theme. There was a 1 year old butterfly dress, a two year old tea party dress, and a sea inspired dress last year. This year I needed to come up with something "fabulous"!
I saw this shirt on Zulily.com and thought that it had the right feel. Unfortunately, it was a close out sale and only available in size 12. I got the idea to try and make a similar shirt, but with our pink and black color scheme. As long as I was changing things, I figured I could try to make the girl look more like Lydia.
I had some thrift store clothing that I was going to play around with to make an outfit. Then I saw this pink and black fabric with scenes from Paris and I just had to have it for the birthday outfit.
Looking at both the inspiration shirt and the Paris scenes on the fabric, I sketched a few ideas.
When I slid the drawing inside the shirt, I could see through the fabric so I only had to trace the image.
I used a fabric marker, which took a bit of work to get it all uniformly thick and even. Fortunately, Lydia didn't mind spending some time in the studio while I worked on it.
Once the drawing was finished, I added a few appliqué pieces. This was my first time using anything like "heat n bond" prior to sewing and I really liked the results. The "heat n bond" was thin enough that I could just trace the shape and then cut the fabric to fit the right shape.
And here is the finished, FABULOUS, shirt. All I need now is to get a few ideas for a matching skirt and the outfit will be finished.

No comments: