Friday, May 17, 2013

Yep, There's a Biscuit on My Head!

It's time for the International Biscuit Festival in downtown Knoxville! I've actually never been to the festival, but I heard about this beauty pageant spoof they do to crown Miss or Mr Biscuit and I decided I wanted in on the action!

Contestants are judged on sportswear (an apron), biscuit knowledge, poise (walking with biscuits on your head), and a biscuit related talent. My biscuit fascinator is overkill, but might prove beneficial in balancing biscuits on my head. Should you find yourself in need of similar food themed head covering, here is what I did.

I started with 2 circles cut from foam. I glued them together and covered them in glue and white paper towels.

Next I painted on some buttery brown texture. Speaking of butter, I wanted a big pat of gooey melting butter on top if my biscuit. So, I mixed a little yellow paint with glue and dripped it into a puddle. I cut a square from foam and also painted it yellow. Then I got some help from gravity.

I wanted a biscuit on a plate for the hat and decided to add some food accessories where a real hat might have feathers or flowers. Bacon apparently is the feather in my cap! To make my fake bacon I just tore some brown paper and glued on red and white tissue paper. Then I wrinkled the strips and let them dry that way.

I wanted a third item, so I made a small orange slice. I cut a half circle out of foam and added some texture with a hot glue gun. Then I added some paint.

I painted a cheap white styrofoam plate and assembled my hat.

It was missing some little finishing touch, so I added a ruffle to match my apron (more on that later) and attached a headband to hold it all in place.

Wish me luck, or better yet, if you can make it to Krutch Park around 3pm tomorrow come out and cheer me on!

1 comment:

Jenni's Whimsies said...

I love making stuff like this! I still cannot believe how real that paper bacon turned out! Good luck tomorrow!

Jenni :)